Saturday, June 11, 2005

Everything happens for the best

CB065376

Day 1

Nearly missed the 12:00 midnight flight from dubai (fashionably late doesn't quite work at the airports).

The Aeroasia plane turned out to be a tiny
Boeing 737. The damn thing was scary when it took off, it was actually shaking and making funny noises. On the positive side though, the airhostesses were fit as fcuk, which is rather unusual if you've ever flown in a Pakistani airlines.

The good thing about flying in smaller aircraft is that they fly a bit low, which means you can always see the ground underneath unless there's a thick cloud cover. Flying over Dubai at night is as beaufitul as it gets. Nakheel's '
World' Islands were visible as little white dots in the big black ocean. It's a 90 minute flight and you don't get to see much once you've left Dubai as it flies over the ocean until it reaches Karachi.

Got to Khi Airport at 3:00 am local time. The flight was a bit late. Karachi has a small but very neat little airport. The building is beautiful actually, probably one of the most modern airports in South Asia (after
Lahore Airport, which I've never seen). Its got excellent facilities, great coffee shops, a big duty free store, internet access, and the staff is extremely professional and helpful.

I was met with two immigration officials upon entering the airport, holding a card with my name on it. For a second I thought whether I should just walk past! I didn't have anything illegal on me (not this time) and my visa etc was in order. So anyway, went with them, shitting myself, as they took me through the immigration counter and customs and out to the visitors area. It turned out that a mate of mine who knew I was coming, had 'arranged' all of this, as coming out of the airport can take up to half an hour. In Karachi, life can be very sweet if you know the right people.

Anyways, got back to my mate's place around 5 after we took a couple of stops along the way. Also saw the KFC that had been torched a day before on the way, in response to a bomb that went off at a mosque. I could swear the place smelt like burnt chicken.

Day 2

By the time I slept it was 7:30 am, knowing that I had to wake up around 10 and pick Henna up from her friend's house at 11.

The thing is, her parents didn't know we meet. Infact her Dad didn't even know I existed. She usually had to tell them she's off to college or to some friends house and I'd pick her up from there.

So I did pick her up at 11, spent the day together, dropped her off at 6 and then slept like a mofo for the rest of the evening. The next day was spent lazing around too, I was supposed to fly back that night and we didn't have any plans to meet up again but when Henna called me around 5ish, I knew I just had to see her one more time.

Day 3

So I picked her up, this time we went to a shopping mall as I had to buy a few DVDs (pirated ofcourse, its amazing how many movies you can pick up for £20. Well, 22 in total, most of which had 2-3 movies in them so I actually ended up with 50 movies in proper DVD format for just £20. Can't really beat that.

On the way back I'd be lying if I said I didn't notice two blokes on a motorcycle following us. I was too busy making out with Henna as we stopped on the traffic lights. Just as I had dropped her off at her friend's house, these two arsewipes appeared on that same bike out of nowhere and asked me nicely to step out. I did. They began asking me about what I was doing there and what my name was etc. I was like.. 'and who are you??' thats when he pulled out what looked like a police badge.

Now, Pakistan has strict laws banning indecent acts in public. Making out with someone in your car counts as public indecency.

I was officially shitting myself.

Not becuase of myself, but because of the consequences Henna might have to face if her parents knew she was spotted making out with some bloke in a car somwhere. Her parents are very strict when it comes to their little girl going out in the big bad world meeting big bad men. Like most muslim parents are actually.

Anyways, so there were these two 'policemen' quizzing in the street in front of Henna's friends house. The fat one (there's always a fat one) then asked me what am I willing to do to make sure Henna's parents don't find out? I told him to fuck off. Literally. And then this arsehole pulls out a shiny piece of metal which in an instant I recognised as a fire-arm, my hands automatically in my pockets handing him over my phone and my wallet with its entire contents.

You don't argue with someone who has a gun. That's just plain stupid.

Anyways, I get home to find my dad running around like a headless chicken, worried as he had thought I was arrested. Those bastards had rung both my dad and Henna's dad to scam some more money off them, saying that they'll file charges against us both for public indecency if they didn't pay em off. They'd gotten Henna's number from my phone obviously.

I was like........ what the fook!!!!!!!! They had told Henna's dad what we were upto. And she hadn't denied it, she was too scared.

The shit had hit the fan.

Day 4

But as they say, everything happens for the best right? My dad told Henna's family not to worry about those wankers as they weren't really police, infact he asked them to come over to our place and they shat themselves and never called again. On the positive side, in true Muslim tradition, my dad had a long chat with hers and they invited us for dinner the next day, when it was decided finally that we will get engaged on November the 5th.

Day 5

Back to Dubai.

12 Comments:

Blogger Dirty Dan said...

Hey Sarah, no i didn't stop over in dubai, i've actually moved here 6 months ago after being offered a good job.

Dubai is the most amazing place actually, the amount of money going around is crazy. they're building the biggest everything in the world really, the biggest malls, buildings, sea fronts, man made islands in the shape of a palm tree and the map of the world, the money is good, things are cheap and there are no taxes to pay, 365 days of guaranteed sunshine although it can be stupidly hot in the summer.

20:34  
Blogger Dirty Dan said...

i was living in brentford before that. I've actually moved so many times i'm starting to feel like a nomad.

David beckhams got a house on the palm. well expensive! :| i hope the toonarmy don't happen again, will wipe the whole thing off!










i'll get my coat :|

20:50  
Blogger Dirty Dan said...

you einstien you!


lol

20:56  
Blogger Dirty Dan said...

just one, against chelsea at stamford bridge. what about you?

21:05  
Blogger Dirty Dan said...

lol i'd never imagined riise could be that good. his left foot was the difference in the game.

it was 5-0

21:09  
Blogger Dirty Dan said...

you're most welcome!

but seriously, well done to stay on in the premiership.

21:12  
Blogger Phitaymaun said...

sarah, dan: add each other to your MSN lists please. yur eating all commenting space. :P
You sure got lucky though bro, the last time i got pulled over for graphic PDA by the cops(real ones) i got shipped off to the states post haste, and the poor girl who was my girlfriend back then ended up married off to some fuck she didn't even know.
Now when we chat she still holds that one spit swap responsible for her loveless marriage. Sigh!
Although, by coming to the states i eventually found my true love and never ever got pulled over for making out again. but the fling didn't work out and now i'm back in pakistan again. Damn. Just realized that the entire story of my life hinges upon that one run in with authority.
Thnx for reminding me off that :s
but seriously, you two really must be blessed to have adversity turned into prosperity in such a wonderful way. COngrats again. Thats quite a story to tell your kids one day.

21:50  
Blogger Dirty Dan said...

So what you doin these days then mate? besides bloggin?

You know, whatever's happened has strengthened my belief in the fact that everything god does, indeed is for the best.

11:07  
Blogger Phitaymaun said...

Wll yeah dude, your shit sure worked out, MAshallah. Bless both of you and wishing you all the best in the world etc. But really man, you guys must've been so meant for each other.
As for me, i'm chillin and working. But blogging is most definately my most frequent activity now that i have taken a vow of celibacy and sworn off of the finer things in life for good.

01:31  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan that was a story and a half! Why did you guys go to to Karachi, are your and henna's parents permanently resident there?

and I dont get it, why were them guys following you, was that just blackamil to get money?

November 5th huh? Where are you guys gonna get gitched, which country I mean. Big time congrats at the job in Dubai, what made you go/apply there and what is the job?

Soz 'bout all the Q's but I've been busy (not had time to browse) and I'm a really curious fcuker

I'm really surprised @ henna's parents, usually muslim fols flip thier lids!

04:32  
Blogger Dirty Dan said...

lot of questions indeed my friend! let me answer them one at a time.

henna's permanently resident there with her 'rents right now although she grew up in NC. THem guys started following us after they saw us makin out in the car, hoping that they would scare us by showing they're police card n then scam some money off us. Nov 5th, yes, probably Khi as thats quite close to Dubai plus my mate owns one of the best clubs that I'm planning to hire and not pay. I actually applied for a job with The Economist and got shipped to Dubai as they needed (ahem) quallity people here.
and btw, her parents just agreed to it cuz a) they did't thing there was anything wrong with me and b) they kinda realised how far things had gone and that their daughter won't be backing out so they gave in.

Alls well that ends well. :)

09:46  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn I am *so* jealous about everything, got to get my ass into gear so I can do some bumpin' n grindin too, I mean travelling ;-)

15:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home

English Blogs.
Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory


Blogwise - blog 

directory
Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
British Blogs.
Blog Directory & 

Search engine


Free Web Site Counter
Site Counter

Blogarama - The Blog Directory eXTReMe Tracker  View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com