Saturday, November 12, 2005

And we're back!



I'm back from my li'l Eid break in Karachi, arrived this morning in the early hours and already I'm back at work.

Its been a brilliant last 10 days or so actually. Eid in Pakistan is different from anywhere else in the world. The excitement is in the air well in advance as shopping centers and restaurants stay open until 2-3 am, sometimes even longer. Karachi doesn't sleep in the last few days before Eid. Everybody's busy getting there new
Kurtas (Pakistani national dress) or Shalwar Kamiz done, girls line up to get Henna tattoos and bangles.

Eid day itself, begins early, around 7. People offer their Eid prayers at the Mosque, followed by a sermon by the Imam. The next 3-4 days are spent visiting relatives and friends, inviting them over to yours for dinner, exchanging presents, going out etc.

This Eid, however, wasn't the same. The tragedy that unfolded last month has hit hard. The thought that there are hundreds of thousands of people, stranded, waiting for shelter, freezing in the cold on the mountains brings a tear to the eye. Almost everyone I met in my short stay in Karachi had contributed in some way or the other to ease the pain of the earthquake survivors. Even those who couldn't afford new clothes for themselves on Eid, borrowed from friends to send clothing and blankets to the northern areas.

BALAKOT, Pakistan, November 7 (UNHCR) – Every year, Tahira Gulafshan celebrates Eid el Fitr by cooking sheer khurma, a thick mix of milk, dried fruits and noodles, for her family in Quetta, south-western Pakistan. This sugary delicacy is eaten during "sweet Eid", which marks the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. But this year, there is little to celebrate and nothing sweet to be savoured.

"I told my children: Mummy cannot spend Eid with you this year," said Gulafshan on the bumpy road to northern Pakistan. "There are many children without Mummies and many Mummies without children, so I am going to serve them."

Gulafshan is one of several UNHCR Pakistani staff who chose to forgo her three-day Eid holidays last weekend to rush relief and offer solace to the survivors of the October 8 earthquake.

"Before, Eid was a happy time. We made new clothes, bought shoes and cooked nice food. People came to visit us at home. But now, everything is finished, what is there to celebrate?" said Masihuzaman, an elder in Ghari Habibullah camp, one of 18 camps set up by the Pakistan military and UNHCR for people who lost their homes in the disaster. [
MORE]




I finally got engaged on November 10th.

To Henna, after we patched up our differences and sorted out our misunderstandings. She did something wrong for which I have forgiven her, as it wasn't as bad as I had originally thought. I do always jump to conclusions and I'm glad I was wrong again. We exchanged rings in a traditional ceremony with our families present, and it was sweet.

I have been in touch with my ex (Alina) since I broke up with Henna a few months back, and it looked like we'd get back together if it wasn't for Alina's apparent lack of commitment - and not bothering to actually 'make an effort'.

Oh and Alina, you do owe me around £4,000 - I'd really appreciate if you could sort it out asap as I'm a bit skint hun.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, we'll be back online from tomorrow, so you can get your daily dose of footy, weird stuff found on the interweb, Babe of the Day. I have had a look at your comments (thanks) and will reply to them in turn.

BTW - The lady in the 'Salwar Kamiz' pics is a stani model known as Rubab, or Sonia as we call her. She's married to my cousin Masood.

I still would though... I'm sick like that :-)

Would you?

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sick like that too :P

Nice to hear a sappy ending once in a while, all the best mate

02:39  
Blogger Val said...

congrats, glad that things worked out.

08:34  
Blogger Sarah said...

congrats!

11:55  
Blogger Dirty Dan said...

cheers pini, val and sarah :)

14:22  
Blogger leonhart said...

Congrats Dan!
I'm sure all of us have overreacted before, but glad yours is sorted out eventually!

14:32  
Blogger SR said...

still would what?

09:51  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something that is considered a taboo has its own charm :)

btw, does that mean we get to talk with henna again?? hmmm.... taboo ;) kidding :D

10:40  
Blogger Dirty Dan said...

leonhart - tell me about it! cheers mate

shaima - erm.. don't worry hun its a guy thing

zag - taboo? she's a bit of a technophobe but i'm tryin to convince her to start posting again

16:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home

English Blogs.
Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory


Blogwise - blog 

directory
Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory
Blogarama - The Blog Directory
British Blogs.
Blog Directory & 

Search engine


Free Web Site Counter
Site Counter

Blogarama - The Blog Directory eXTReMe Tracker  View My Public Stats on MyBlogLog.com